The Fortress of Fortezza was built between 1573-1580 by the Venetians, in order to protect the inhabitants from the Turkish threat. It is located in the west side of today's city. It has a star shape, three gates and six bastions and its total length is 1307 m.
Built in the bastion of Saint Ilias inside the Fortress of Fortezza, the Erofili theater took its name from the homonymous theatrical play of the important Rethymnian poet of the Cretan Renaissance, Georgios Chortatzis,
Cultural events take place every summer at the Erofili Theater, during the Rethymnon Renaissance Festival, one of the most important institutions organized by the Municipality of Rethymno since 1987.
(Source: Culture Office of the Municipality of Rethymno)