The building, also known as the "Palace of the Prince of the Commission period", is located on the west side of the Old Town of Rethymnon and was built during 1844 and 1847.
It is a three-storey building of load-bearing stone masonry 0.90 m (ground floor) to 0.70 m (floors) wide, with external common area at all sides, a total internal area of 3,175 m² and a volume of 13,140 m³.
It is protected according to the C / 144/26125 / 11-04-1997 decision and in accordance with the provisions of the Law 3028/2002 on "Protection of Antiquities and in general of the Cultural Heritage", while any intervention is subject under the control of the "Service of Modern Monuments and Technical Works of Crete".
Today it houses the offices of the Regional Unit of Rethymno.
In the period 2010 - 2011, urgent restoration was carried out in order to repair the porch (main entrance) and the facade of the building. The whole construction above the four pilars was ''brought down'' and each stone was carefully inspected. If some of them were in good condition they would be reused, while the rest - at a rate of more than 70%, were replaced with new identical, moduled as the former and after they were numbered accordingly to each position they would be placed and set up to restore the construction.
In 2016, more works were carried out, such as repairing parts of the building’s façade, repairing parts of the load-bearing stone masonry of the building and maintenance of the windows.