The village of Maroulas is located 10 km from Rethymno at the top of a hill 240 meters high. It has been characterized as protected (Government Gazette 1226 / Β / 25-11-1980) and a traditional settlement of medium cultural value (category II, Government Gazette 728/1995). It is estimated that it was developed and formed mainly during the Venetian period, although it is assumed that the area was inhabited much earlier.
This tower was built by the Venetians probably in the 16th century or a little earlier and is the trademark of the village as it is the most imposing and visible from a long distance.
It is three-storey with a height of 14 meters and has visual contact with Fortezza the fortress of Rethymnon. It had a defensive character (presence of a machicolation - French: mâchicoulis - construction for pouring hot liquid at the edge of the walls) and was probably the residence of a local lord.
In the 1990s the Tower was purchased by the Municipality of Rethymno and the company was invited to carry out its restoration.